Saturday, February 23, 2013

GHS Brite Flats .012-.054 (Set 730): String Review

For Christmas this year I received a set of GHS Brite Flats .012-.054 gauge strings. I have just recently changed them after using them daily for approximately 2 months on the old ES-175. I have found these strings to be unique among strings I have tried.

First, these are not what I would consider flat wound strings (contrary to the name brite flats) as they are actually ground round wound. This process of string making involves the production of a round wound string which is then ground to slightly "flatten" the ridges created by round windings. This property of the strings makes them unique; it is a feel that is edgier than the true flats but smoother than round wound. For reference, I have used D'Addario half rounds and found the Brite Flats to have more of an edge to the feel.

The tone of the brite flats are difficult to describe as they are in-between a mellow tone and a bright tone. I noticed the increased high frequency presence as well as a slight decrease in note-to-note separation of chords. I did like the strings overall but have realized that I prefer true flat wound strings on the ES-175.

The moral of the story is that different strings seem to "get along with" different guitars. I surmise that on a guitar like a Les Paul these strings may be just the ticket because it may be a good contrast to have the extra brightness. Either way in the eternal quest for tone you may want to give Brite Flats a try along the way.

235196_Merrell Shoes and Clothing

No comments:

Post a Comment