Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Round Midnight

All of you guitar players ought to have a look and listen (more importantly) to this version of the classic Thelonious Monk standard "Round Midnight":

This version is special because it showcases Wes throughout. There are many great camera shots of his right and left hand technique.

My observations are his astoundingly fast use of downward thumbstrokes, perfectly intonated octaves, smoothly moving left hand (very fluid and effortless), and his comfortable demeanor when soloing.  He also manages to keep the entire 8 minutes very entertaining for any listener. That is the key; listening not just hearing. I like to sit and listen with eyes closed in a dark room to really listen and feel what the music is telling me. I find it fascinating that every time I hear Wes play I hear different things. Even when I have the solo mentally memorized. There is certainly something to be said about the beauty of improvisation.


536013_Cascio Interstate Music

No comments:

Post a Comment