Sunday, February 24, 2013

Jim Dunlop JazzTones 205 Picks: Review

After years and years of guitar playing and experimenting with different guitar picks I have finally found what I believe is the most useful of them all (at least at the present time).

Before getting into the nitty-gritty let me explain the background. The first picks I used were by Fender (as many of us still use). The Fender in normal 351 size were never comfortable for me regardless of gauge. I also disliked the glossy texture of the classic tortoise picks.

Next, I moved on to Dunlop's tortex .88mm (green turtle), then the Gator Grip .96 mm and finally on to the Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm (black with raised molded grip surface. Then I encountered the Jazz III picks. These were a great finding as their smaller shape was very well suited to my "closed fist, no anchor" right hand style. I like the Jazz IIIs still to this day and they would be my backup if the JazzTones ever are discontinued.

Enter the JazzTone. If there is one message I would like to convey most it is that in my opinion these picks are as close to the sound of a thumb that I have heard. I like the matte type finish of these picks and, on the 205 in particular, the semi-sharp tip. It is not as sharp as the Jazz III and the material is different, gauge thicker and tone is mellower. I find this to be the best of all worlds. One caveat is the molding process leaves a small indention on the top side of the pick. This may or may not be an issue but since they last so long (especially playing on flat wound strings) you may wish to lightly sand this down so you won't even think about it.

I think any player can find a JazzTone that suits their style, as you can see they make a whole mess of sizes.


2 comments: