Friday, February 22, 2013

Restring with the Thomastik Jazz Swing

So after 2 months using the Ghs Brite Flats (.012-.054) I decided to try a new type of flat wounds on the old ES-175; Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing Lights.

These strings are on the pricey side ($22.99) versus the Brite Flats (~$9.50) but from just simply looking at the packaging you can justify the difference.



The strings are in a nice plastic container which I saved for other uses. Also each string is in its own envelope and the wound strings have another plastic sleeve which they reside in; very high quality.


When stringing the guitar one notices the finer details such as the red silk windings on the end of each wound string. Ball end and plain end are reinforced for ease in stringing, extended playing life, and aesthetics.






These strings feel great on right and left hands. The finger style playing is also very enjoyable with these strings. The tone is more articulate than D'Addario chromes and mellower than GHS Brite Flats. I particularly like the choice of string gauge. I highly recommend these strings to any player in search of the ultimate flat wound.

6 comments:

  1. I suggest you trying the Jazz Swing JS113 flat wound Thomastik-Infeld .013 (http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/thomastik-infeld-jazz-swing-series-flat-wound-js113-13-53-full-set-2204.html)

    I also suggest dunlop jazz I pick (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jazz-i-ii--iii)

    I use them on my epiphone dot-vs and I have great tone for jazz

    I also thank you for your answer in my Bb blues thread in jazzguitar.be forum... (http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/comping-chords-chord-progressions/27683-easy-bb-blues-comping.html#post298970)

    If you want check my jazz guitar blog (theartofjazzguitar.blogspot.com) it's a little bit outdated but I'll resume writing one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    The Jazz swing strings are wonderful strings! I like the Dunlop picks as well, I prefer the Jazz Tones 205 shape.

    I like your blog as well, a lot of cool info on there!. Would you mind if I posted a link to your blog on here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to post the link and any content of my blog as well. Knowlegde is power.

    I like your stylish blog, so I 'll put your link at my blog too.

    I just noticed that your url is a ".gr"
    Are you greek? That would be great because I am a greek too.

    If you are greek, check my jazz lessons at musicheaven:
    http://www.musicheaven.gr/html/modules.php?name=Splatt_Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=28819&start=0

    http://www.musicheaven.gr/html/modules.php?name=Splatt_Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=28837&gotolast=0

    I have also post some lessons at kithara,gr

    ReplyDelete
  4. your background looks like pollock...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The background is Pollock, it is entitled "Convergence". I am not Greek but I will check out your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The silk windings on my JS110 Strings extended past the tuner posts when I put them on my Ibanez Archtop Guitar so I bent a sharp angle to help keep the windings in place. I guess I might have to replace the tuners w/ ones that have taller posts so I can have more silk winding wrap around them. These strings should include instructions on how to install them properly cause it would help.

    ReplyDelete